Saturday, July 14, 2007

The Endless Mountains, PA-Day 5

I am in a place now called the Endless Mountains. When we ask people when they end, they just laugh...I'm tired, but it is beautiful. We are still travelling on Route 6, and really are just paralleling Western NY right now. Two days ago I passed under 81, yesterday we saw signs for Elmira, and today we were close to Corning. I never really how close beautiful parts of PA were.

So, things are going pretty well. We slept in til 6am today, and woke up in a cloud, after spending the night in Mainesburg, a town of 75 people apparently. We stayed in a local park, with a few gazebos and a water hookup, next to the park managers house. It was great, except for a freezing cold morning that left my hands inoperable, and me a bit grumpy. But, after warming up, and heading 20 miles out of Mainesburg, we stopped at a great bike shop in Wellsboro, where they looked at, and hopefully fixed, Armin's tire once and for all (he has gotten a flat every day), and looked at my front deraileur, which has been slipping. They were really helpful, and excited for us and our trip. After that we've continued in the Endless Mountains, in state park territory and near the PA Grand Canyon. Since it's a Saturday, we are seeing all sorts of people biking, camping, etc. It's been nice. A few more miles today before we set up camp.

That's it for now, as Armin and Ross are waiting. but as always, a quick food recap. Pay special attention to last nights dinner:

-Bunny Grahams
-Brownie
-Luna Bar
-Orange Soda (The store in Mainesburg didn't carry any juice)
-Couscous, Rice Pilaf, Corn, Avocado, and Canned Chicken Jumbalaya (our own concoction at our camp site, and actually quite good!)
-Oatmeal with Peanut Butter
-Luna Bar
-Turkey Sandwich
-Peas
-Kashi Crackers
-Carrots

2 comments:

Marg said...

Dear Mommie:

I am being a really good boy for Gramma and Granpa. I like their big bed alot and especially like sleeping on Grandpa's pillow. He loves me so much. I stay in the cage during the day because Gramma is arraid I will do something bad if I don't.

I MISS you and LOVE you. I am proud of you. Love,

Oliver

Actually Jules, Oliver is doing great. We are getting quite attached to him. Just as I predicted he is fitting in with the two old dogs, but he still doesn't realize that Pepper is the alpha dog here.

We're enjoying the blogs and everyone here is asking about your endeaver.

Be safe. Love,

Mom

Suzanne Lowell said...

jules,

i saw JT tonight. SO GOOD! he made me cry and i wished you were there to share in it with me. i was away for jess and joel's wedding which was also fabulous. can't wait to tell you about it and to show you pics. i hadn't been able to check on your progress all weekend and finally caught up on where you are. sounds incredible!

miss you and love you!

xoxo,
suz